SC - My first feast

James May robmay at home.com
Mon Feb 22 20:02:27 PST 1999

<italic>Hi all! Jehan Yves de Chateau Thiery here with a report of my
first ever feast as the head cook.

<underline>

LUNCH

</underline>

Cheese

Bread

Brodo of Red Chickpeas (from  Libro de arte coquinaria)

	<italic>A soup of chickpeas (as redacted in Medieval Kitchens)

</italic>

<underline>FIRST COURSE

</underline>

Hirchones  (from  Forme of Curye)

	<italic>Hedgehogs  (as redacted in Pleyn Delit)

</italic>Champignons en paste' (from Le Menagier de Paris)

	<italic>Mushroom Tarts  (as redacted in Pleyn Delit)

</italic>Escheroys  (from  Le menagier de Paris)

	<italic>Fried Parsnips  (as redacted in Early French Cookery)

</italic>

<underline>SECOND COURSE

</underline>

Venoison de sanglier frez (from le Viandier de Taillevent)

<italic>	Pork, boiled in water and wine  ( as redacted in Early French
    Cookery )

</italic>Cameline  (from  Du fait de Cuisine)

	<italic>Cameline sauce for the venison  (as redacted in Early French
   Cookery_

</italic>La Manier de fair Composte  (from  Le menagier de Paris)

	<italic>Honey glazed vegetables  (as redacted in Early French Cookery
)

</italic>Potage Dyvers   A Pottage of Roysons  (from  Harleian MS. 279)

	<italic>A pottage of apples and raisons  ( as redacted in Take a
Thousand Eggs )

</italic>

<underline>THIRD COURSE

</underline>

Ravieles  (from  Two Anglo-Norman Culinary Collections)

	<italic>Cheese ravioli  ( as redacted in Pleyn Delit )

</italic>Minces  (from  Le Menagier de Paris)

	<italic>Brussels sprouts  (as redacted in Pleyn Delit)

</italic>Nucato  (from Libro della cucina del secolo XIV

	<italic>Spiced Honey Nut Crunch  ( as redacted in Medieval Kitchen )

I served eighty, with the assistance of a wonderful kitchen staff.

We had a major delay due to lack of proper heating in the two comercial
ovens, but everyone loved the food. After spending 12 hours by myself
making the Ravieles, by hand, on Friday, I now understand the meaning of
<underline>Pre-cook.</underline>  As you can see, I used the redactions
from the books (with out changes) for all of the dishes. In the many
trial runs of each dish, I couldn't find a single improvement that was
needed.

Well, comments?

Jehan Yves</italic>