SC - "bog butter"

MAYER,ING,SUSANNE FEM BIG-AT Susanne.Mayer at vie.boehringer-ingelheim.com
Tue Feb 23 04:18:22 PST 1999

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir [SMTP:nannar at isholf.is]
	Sent:	23 February 1999 09:50
	To:	sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
	Subject:	Re: SC -  "bog butter"

	><< And completely unsalted, >>
	>
	>On what basis do you make this statement?

	In Iceland, butter was never salted until the 19th century. Neither
was
	fish, and meat rarely. We used other methods of preservation, as
almost all
	salt had to be imported and was simply too expensive for ordinary
people.
	Yet this butter was not only a great part of our diet (the usual
allotment
	for a working man was half a pound per day) but was also used for
many
	financial transactions. Rents were usually paid in butter, for
instance.

	Nanna

Hello!

I would like to use the butter discusion to introduce myself.

First: butter in Central Europe (German/Austria and Neighbours) generaly
comes unsalted,
although you can get salted butter now.
And usually was made from the seperated cream in a churn.
If you make whipped cream and do not check what you do, you get the same
effect,
 even from modern pasteurised cream (around 36% fat sweet cream).
Nowadays you can get also butter made from sourcream, or special milks,...
But there is nothing better than fresh farmbutter and fresh dark bread as a
snack.

Second: I am Lady Katharina Woinovich (mka Susanne Mayer)
former Seneschal of the Incipiend Shire At Flumen Caerulum,
on the south-eastern border of the Known World in Drachenwald.
(The Danube around Vienna and  its Sourroundings, Austria ,Europe).

I like to eat what I cook and I like to experiment with my food. I collect
not only Medieval
cookbooks but cookbooks in general.
We do infrequent cooking and costumig workshops at the various homes of our
shire members.
The last was in January and we di make a rahter savoury tounge pastry and a
very sweet rose pudding.
If any of you is interested I can post the recipies.

Katharina

Now some more about us and our shire:

Ad Flumen Caerulum is the part of Austria surrounding the Danube.
If you, by chance watched the New-Year-Concert from Vienna
 *On the Beautiful Blue Danube* by Strauss was played.
This waltz is one of the best known in the world and one
of two pieces danced by a ballet and also one of the only two
 pieces played at every New-Year-Concert
from the *goldenen Musikvereinssaal* in Vienna.
>From this waltz we took our name: *on the blue river*.
This area is one rich in historic events, including the *birth of a nation*
 at 996 in Neuhofen at the Ybbs, not far from the Danube. There, the name
*Ostarichi* for Austria was first documented.
Nearly all of our members (around 5 paying and a few more
 attending very infrequent meetings) are living and
working in Vienna, allthough we come from all over Austria.
I, for example, come from Carinthia, the southern most
province of the country. The A&S Minister comes from Tyrol,
 and my friend, Alexandra comes from Vienna. She is the one
with whom I will visit Florida.
Two of the symbols for Vienna and it's surrounding area did
ind entrance in our device.
It includes, beside the blue river (as a bend wavy , azur) a
*white Stallion, salient*, taken from the famous Spanish Ridingschool
in Vienna, on a golden shield. Gold being one of the
Imperial Austrian colors. The official description is: Or, on a bend wavy
azure between two laurel wreths vert a horse salient palewise argent.
We are a tiny dot of Known Land in the vast sea of uncharted lands
in the south-east of Drachenwald. The nearest groups are a
Stronghold in Italy and a shire in Germany, both more
than 400 miles away. We also have some tentative contacts to
Czechia, Slovakia and Slovenia.
We exist now for about four years.
At the moment our main function is to provide information
to a growing community of Live role players, where we hope
to find new members for the SCA. To us, people come for
patterns of the various usefull things and recipies for cooking
 *more authentic food* at fantasy or *historised* Live-roleplays.
My personal interest lies in cooking, archery ( i own a 40lb english
Longbow) and
horseback-riding in both my *lives*. I am 35 years old and a chemical
engineer working
as technician in a big pharmaceutical company in High Throughput Screenig
research.

My persona, Lady Katharina Woinovic, is born somewere
 on the Balkan. Her father is supposedly a bastard brother of
Stefan Duschan one of the last big Serbian Kings of the
 house of Nemaija. He had to flee after some differences with the
king and went to the Duchy of Carinthia. There Katharina was
raised and learned to read, to write a little, cooking, a bit about
horses and hounds, herbalism and a bit of leechcraft.