SC - Re: Fo: your fame spreads

Jane Waks waks at world.std.com
Tue Feb 23 08:57:26 PST 1999

>"STC" refers to the "Short Title Catalog", which was a massive project
>at the beginning of this century, to catalog all early published works
>in English that had known extant copies. The original STC was edited by
>Pollard & Redgrave, and covers up to 1640.

And their successor, Wing, covered to 1800.

>I seem to recall that my lady wife had found Web info about the
>microfilm collection; I think it's from UMI. Jane, do you remember where
>that was?

It's 2,034 reels, more than 29 thousand items covered.
Alternate title: Early English Books 1.
Read and drool at the producer's page:
http://www.umi.com/hp/Support/Research/Files/61.html
I don't know how much it costs -- I don't think I want to imagine.

Many of the very largest libraries have computer indices to
this (Yale, Columbia, Ohio) but as far as I can find, the indices are
not available over the web to the public. (yes, I've looked -- if
you find one that's open access, let me know)

Caitlin Davies