SC - Symbols in original English recipes

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Wed Feb 24 15:10:58 PST 1999

>How did you make the thorn symbol? It appears perfectly in your letter to
me
so I must have a font file that recognizes it but I am at a loss on how to
reproduce it on my keyboard. IF I could figure out how to make the symbols
appear then using alternatives would no longer be an issue for me. Thanks in
advance. :-)

My lord,

The letter Þ is in fact on my keyboard, as are several other letters used in
the Icelandic alphabet and not in the English one. But you could try ALT-231
for þ and ALT-232 for capital Þ, or ALT-0254 and ALT 0222. Both work equally
well for me.

Note, however, that they may not show up correctly on a Mac, as Þ is not
standard in the Mac character set. You might also find something of use at
this site:

http://www.georgetown.edu/cball/oe/oe-chars.html

Nanna