SC - Use of tofu in period.. recipes??

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Feb 24 19:20:16 PST 1999

> maddie teller-kook wrote:

> I had a question from a friend concerning use of tofu in period. I
> found references for it (seems it goes back to the Tang period in the
> 10th century... according to Trager in the Food Chronology).  Just
> wondering if any one knows of period recipes using it.

The 14th-century [?] cookery text of Ni Tsan, translated in the latest
PPC, seems to make no mention of it. Gluten, yes, but no dow fu. I
believe there are textual references to the food existing and being
eaten, but I don't recall anything that could be described as a recipe, offhand.

Somewhere I have a book on ancient Chinese culinary poems and other
texts and quotations. I'll see if I can find it.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com