SC - Substitution vs Accuracy- response, Long.

Oughton, Karin (GEIS, Tirlan) Karin.Oughton at geis.ge.com
Thu Feb 25 08:54:19 PST 1999

Thanks for the extensive reply <grin> !

I guess I was trying to work out why it was not acceptable to substitute
period ingredients within the period recipe, when it would have been fairly
ineveitable that a period cook would have done so - we only need to look at
the hundreds of variations you get of a single recipe such as chilli con
carne today, to believe that cooks in that time period would have been the
same, each with their own distinctive flair. That's just on the flair side -
think of availability issues without planes to fly out of season produce
from all the way around the world.........

Perhaps it comes down to defining cooking as a science/art ( no, I don't
want to kick off that discussion again either <grin>) - I see it as art has
room for embellishment and variation, but science is defined, so here we
examine the science of the historical recipe, rather than the art of period
cookery.

Do you/SCA  ever work with period-ish recipes?

karin.
	-----