SC - Documentation

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Feb 25 17:19:47 PST 1999

Christine A Seelye-King asked, concerning bruet saake:

>> I have a
>> question, though, what is the line "tempere +in powajes with wyne;"
>> referring to?  Is powajes = pottage? as in the broth and meat?

and Adamantius answered:

>You got me.
>
>Since Austin apparently saw nothing confusing about the term (and
>probably since we're all spoiled by Connie Hieatt's work), we're left
>with a huge question mark, unless perhaps we can look in a
>fifteenth-century English dictionary...

But Austin was confused; at least, you look it up in the glossary and get:

"? meaning. A. reads "powares." " (A. presumably being another manuscript.)

My guess at it when we did this recipe (our version is in the Miscellany)
was that the word was a scribal error for powders and therefore meant the
cinnamon and ginger mentioned just before the phrase in question.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook