SC - Summertime Cerulean Blue Sauce

Fri Feb 26 04:34:51 PST 1999

> Could you possibly advise on the botanical name of these blackberries?
>
> Mari de Paxford
> (Meliora's "other portable brain")

I did a little searching and came up with a small problem.  What we in the
U.S. call blackberries are actually black raspberries.  They do exude a dark
blue juice and have a taste of their own, but they were imported into Europe
in recent times.

Rubus idaeus, which is definitely a red raspberry, is the only European
member of this group.  The American variant is R. idaeus var. strigosus.

The primary species known as blackberries are R. occidentalis (AKA blackcap
or thimbleberry) and R. leucodeamis (AKA western black raspberry).

Right now, I'm wondering if the blackberry of the recipe may not be a black
currant.

Bear