SC - Sap Green: Was: Recipe from Murrell

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Fri Feb 26 09:50:59 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/26/1999 8:13:08 AM Mountain Standard Time,
renfrow at skylands.net writes:

<< Hello!  Yes, you did send me that info, but someone here mentioned other
 sources of the color besides buckthorn & I was wondering what documentation
 they had? >>

Well, I did not mention it but I do have several other types of green that
were used for manuscript painting in period.  The first two of these do fall
under the VERY toxic definition.  One is copper green or verdigris green,
which is the color of tarnished copper. The other is viridian which is a
tealish green.  A really true dark green was created using ground up
malachite.  (Much the same way that really spectacular blue was created using
ground up lapis lazuli.)

More information on period paints, at least those for illumination, can be
found in:

_Medieval Illuminators and Their Work_ by Jonathan J. G. Alexander

_On Divers Arts_ by Theolpolis trans by  John G Hawthorn and C. S. Smith
(availible in the latest Dover catalog)

_The Craftsman's Handbook_ by Cennino Cenini (also availible from Dover)

The first is a modern discussion on tools and materials, the other two are
reprints of period manuals.  Theolpolis wrote in the 12th century, Cenini in
the 15th.

Noemi
who really is more of a scribe than a cook. . .
Windkeep, Outlands
Cheyenne, Wyoming