SC - Dried Currants

Fri Feb 26 16:21:52 PST 1999

> M'lord Ras,  I am a little confused here because I thought currants _were_
>
> dried.  How can one have dried currants then? :-)
>
> I wonder if the currants we use in recipes in Britain also Zante raisins?
>
> Also, where do sultanas fit into all of this?
>
> Elysant

Currants which are Zante raisins are always dried.  Currants which are the
fruit of genus Ribes may be fresh or dried.  Cultivation of Ribes is limited
because they serve as a host for white-pine blister rust (Cronartium
ribicola).  Sultanas are a small yellow seedless raisin originating in Asia
Minor.

Bear