SC - chicken oysters?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Feb 1 04:10:00 PST 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Uh, what are chicken oysters? I've heard of mountain oysters, but
> I really doubt this is the same thing from roosters as there wouldn't
> seem to be much there.

You'd be surprised...actually, chicken oysters (or of turkeys, but
waterfowl seem not to have them) are an extension of one of the thigh
muscles that fits into a little socket in the pelvis/back structure.
Usually what happens is that some machine, or an unskilled butcher, cuts
the thigh off more or less straight across, which leaves a little chunk
of firm, dark meat stuck in the aforeseyd socket, roughly the size and
shape of an oyster. A skilled butcher will cut off the thigh in such a
way that the oyster is attached, and it's one of those little secret
bits that the carver gives to his/her favorite, if they know their job.

In English this is usually known as the oyster, while in more colorful
French, it is the sot-l'y-laisse, which apparently translates as,
roughly, "only a fool would leave it there".

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com