OOP -Iced Sweet Tea was Re: SC - Grits

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 1 06:12:53 PST 1999

well, maybe not boiled with (boiling the tea leaves will bring out a
bitterness no amount of sugar will correct) but both tea and sugar must
be added as soon as the boiling water comes off the burner so as much
sugar goes into solution as possible.  And then, the tea must steep so
long that the end product is nearly as black as coffee.  None of this
clear amber stuff.  When made very strong and very sweet those that like
it less strong and sweet can add some water to their glass, or wait
until the ice melts a bit.

>Some sit-com the other night had it's yankee characters wondering how
>make sweet tea for thier southern guest.  They decided to serve a glass
of
>ice tea with a bowl of sugar.  Of course everyone from the south knows
the
>sugar has to be boiled with the tea to make sweet tea.
>gwyneth
>(who doesn't drink sweet tea but my husband wishes I would make it for
him:-)

>At 08:19 PM 1/31/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>Jgoldsp at aol.com wrote:
>> Now as for tea as soon as the weather is above
>>> 32 F I have ice tea available for the customers with free refills,
you
>usually
>>> don't see that in the North.
>>Joram