SC - Chips n'gravy

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Mon Feb 1 16:52:20 PST 1999

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>This reminds me of the incident when my husband decided to dub me with the
>nick-name "English". He associated my wierd habit of liking pancakes and/or
>frenchfries alongside gravy (as opposed to syrup or tomato catsup) as an
>English trait. Mum is from London, you understand, but SHE doesn't eat 'em
>that way. In fact I got it from my PA Dutch dad.

We do eat "chips n'gravy" in Britain!  "Curry and Chips" also.  The thing is
you've got to pour the gravy or curry over the chips vs serving it alongside
them.  Maybe "alongside"'s the Dutch thing? ;-)   I don't know about pancakes
though!  Usually they're rolled like crepes and filled with lemon juice and
sugar - unless you go to an American Pancake house over there!

Elysant