SC - Peanuts-possibly OOP

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Mon Feb 1 20:28:01 PST 1999

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>Ok good gentles, answer me this if you will, if the reports of cocaine found
>in Egyptian mummies are to be believed and they also traded with South

There are some puzzling similarities in Mexican and Egyptian pyramid/temple
construction though.  Perhaps a few learned Egyptian architects came across
the seas from the Med in a Kontiki type of raft one day, floated into the
Caribbean and showed the Olmecs, Toltecs etc. or whoever else was there how
to build pyramids.  And you're talking BC for even the last of the Egyptian
mummies, 1100 AD or so for the Aztecs, and 1400's for Columbus.  But of a
time span there!  And this side of the pond has the later dates (at least by
present dating methods).

>America why didn't the Egyptians have boiled peanuts, corn bread, taters,
>real honest to god chili, and grits.

Maybe they gave them a stomach upest - Chili doesn't go down well with me!

>I am presently trying to picture what the hieroglyphic for an armadillo
>would look like, but all I can see in my mind's eye is a dead one by the
>side of the road with his feet in the air clutching a long neck.

Remember there were no vowels so it would be "rmdll".  :-)

>Seriously if we are going to discuss pre-Columbian trade between the old and
>new worlds we need come up with some explainations regarding the lack of
>resistence in the population of the new world, to some very common Old World
>diseases.

Devils advocate - where's the evidence that wasn't the reason some of the
peoples died out.  Maybe we're seeing the survivors!

>Chance early exposures to such diseases in the 16th century are
>reported to have decimated the indigenous populations in various locations
>well up into the 19th century.

Also there's this - maybe the Pharaohs had a similar reaction:

Lord Raz said:

>>Remember when history books talked about Thomas Jefferson transplanting
>certain
>>plants to France, and they were like "how quaint" and wouldn't eat them?
>things
>>like corn, and sweet potatos.  could be same theory-"oh how interesting
>plant,
>>came from where?"  but not sufficient quantities to enter into regional
>cooking?

I get a similar reaction "how quaint" when I ask people around here if they'd
like a bite of my Cadbury's Flake.  (Not American!  Don't know what it is!
Poison!)

Elysant