SC - trencher history guesses

Heitman fiondel at fastrans.net
Tue Feb 2 05:32:23 PST 1999

>Has the anyone in the SCA ever done a feast using trenchers?
>
>Elysant

Ah, this brings back a nice memory.  I had been in the SCA
about 18 months, when I went to Winter Court (VERY small, local,
non-published event).  Came time for the feast, and they set out
candles, and, as I recall, did something with torchieres so that
they looked roughly non-electric (I don't remember, that was a
long time ago, but they put *something* around the top, so that
the light was muted).  The harp music started, and the trays
piled with trenchers were brought out.  The trenchers were replaced
once, between the first (fowl) and second (pork) course.  There was
music and entertainment, and I don't have a single memory of
what the food actually was, but it was one of those magic
moments.  I've always felt those trenchers helped enormously to
make it magic, because of the feel of "something out of the ordinary."

Or, maybe, it was just being new and more easily taken in by magic. :)

Fiondel