SC - Buckwheat groats/Kasha/Kashka

L. Herr-Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Tue Feb 2 05:15:49 PST 1999

Kashka. Russian, Polish, Slavic, etc.  Try a well-supplied ethnic grocery
store or one of those huge ones with an ethnic section. Kashka abounds in
this area of the world, but then we sport a Russian Orthodox Monastary.
Think of it as cream of buckwheat on a slightly grainier level.

Elena Molokhovets reccomends toasting them with a raw egg mixed in, then
cooking with water/broth/milk as usual. I understand it is frequently
treated as a cousin of scrapple or cornmeal mush. When cold, Sliced and
fried, or cubed and added to soup as a "noodle" substitute just before
serving.

Aoife