SC - filo dough things

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 3 06:09:09 PST 1999

- ------=_NextPart_000_6601f867_245ce737$272e9511

A lovely use for filo dough, as promised.

>Bonne,
>
>Here's the recipe for tiropeta.  I was taught to make it by my
>grandmother, who knew nothing of measuring cups, so some of   it is
>gloriously imprecise.
>
>6 eggs, lightly beaten
>1 lb. feta (goat mil, NOT sheep milk feta!), crumbled
>1 stick unsalted butter
>some whole milk (maybe 1/4 cup?)
>1 package frozen filo (properly thawed, of course)
>sugar to taste
>
>Combine eggs, cheese, milk, and add some sugar to soften the taste of
>the feta.
>
>Use a deep pan, at least 9x11" (half the size of a piece of filo, more
>or less).  Melt the butter, and brush on a layer; lay in the first
piece
>of filo, brush butter on it, lay on the next layer, and so on.  Don't
>soak the filo with the butte, but don't be too sparing, either.  Lay
>down half the filo, then pour in the fillng (it's good to build up a
>little side layer of filo on all four sides as you go, so the filling
>will be encased in the filo).   Sprinkle sugar on top of the cheese
>mixture, and finish layering in the filo.  Cut the top layers of filo
in
>whatever shap/size you're going to serve (otherwise it'll be too
>difficult to cut when it's cooked, and sprinkle the edges with water to
>help prevent burning.  Bake at 350 for about 30-35 mins.  I usually
>cover the pan with tin foil for the first 15-20 mins (depending on the
>over) to prevent the top layers of filo from burning.  Top should be a
>lovely golden brown, of course.  Anyway, take it out, let it cool...can
>be served either warm or cold. My Yiayia used to peel up the top layers
>of filo and add sugar ontop of the hot, cooked filling section to get
me
>to eat it as a kid (she didn't add sugar before cooking, but would cut
>the taste of the feta with a couple of tablespoons of cottage cheese.
>I've also seen recipes that add ricotta!).
>
>When working with filo, make sure you have a clean damp (not wet!)
towel
>wit which to cover the unused portion of dough while ou're laying one
>down & buttering it.  Filo will dry out and become unuseable really
>quickly, so you have to work quickly, and keep it damp.  But if your
>towel is too wet you end up with a sodden mass of dough, which is of no
>use, either!
>
>BTW, if no one has mentioned this about baklava, you can post it as
>well...it's really, really important not to pour hot syrup on hot
>baklava according to Lavrakas family tradition.  My aunt swears by
>pouring cold syrup on hot baklava, but I've done the opposite and never
>noticed much of a difference.  Also, I think baklava tastes best the
day
>*after* it's been prepared...provided you haven't overdrenched it with
>the syrup.  Not that I can quantify what 'too much' syrup is...this is
>another thing I can only cook by sight/smell/taste!
>
>Kathryn

begin:          vcard
fn:             Marybeth Lavrakas
n:              Lavrakas;Marybeth
email;internet: lavraka at ibm.net
note:           Lady Kateryn Rous, MoAS Kappellenberg and Autocrat for the Feast of St. George
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard