SC - SC: - Galingale question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Feb 3 06:55:13 PST 1999

Christine Krebs-Bonder wrote:

> Folks have been mentioning the spice galingale on the list and I've seen it in some
> books. Just what is it and where would I find it? Thank you.
>
> Lady Edlyn of Meadowburne
> (Who is having a lot of fun making interesting things in the kitchen lately...)
> aka Christine Krebs-Bonder, Dayton, OH

Wow! Deja vu!

Galingale is an aromatic rhizome (like ginger, to which it is closely
related). It tastes a bit like eucalyptus, in my opinion.

Also known as galangal or galanga in SE Asia, laos or kencur in
Indonesia (these refer respectively to the Greater and Lesser varieties,
but I forget which is which offhand).

You can find it in specialty spice stores, and various Asian markets. I
haven't seen it fresh myself, but I can easily find whole roots, frozen.
The dried product, especially whole chunks of rhizome, are a bear to
grind. Somewhat eaiser to deal with are dried slices, which is how I
usually find it in Asian markets, unless I find it frozen. I suggest you
avoid the powdered stuff as it loses potency quickly (probably why
people think it tastes like ginger).

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy