SC - Marshmallows

Margo Hablutzel margolh at nortelnetworks.com
Wed Feb 3 12:22:48 PST 1999

	> I would think the marshmallow cream stuff you get in the jar would
be
	> closer to period-ish than the puffed marshmallows in the bag.  The
	> jet-puffing thing was added after 1700.  My 7 year old actually
told me
	> about the mallow root thing.  She got it from an episode of "Magic
School
	> Bus":-)
	> gwyneth

Actually, long after 1700, and even after 1900; they date from 1953:
<http://www.jetpuffed.com/aboutjpm/> http://www.jetpuffed.com/aboutjpm/
Jet-puffing came about because a scientist was trying to improve the process
(primarily looking for speed) for making marshmallows.

According to their "Marshmallow History" page, marshmallows as we know them
(well, the home-made variety, with a syrup beaten into egg whites) first
appeared in France in the mid-1800's.  Although early ones were made with
mallow root, as demand grew it was replaced by gelatin, and the marshmallows
were not formed individually but poured into moulds.

BTW, in Germany, it is called "spek" and comes in all colours, shapes, and
so on.  Amazing the kinds of candies you find in the shops there!  And
people in the USA thought it was innovative to get three-colour ropes of
marshmallow at holidays.

Marshmallow Fluff dates from about 1917:
<http://www.marshmallowfluff.com/htm/history_frame.shtml>
http://www.marshmallowfluff.com/htm/history_frame.shtml

The things one finds while wandering curiously about the Internet.

- ---= Morgan

	           |\     THIS is the cutting edge of technology!
<mailto:Hablutzel at compuserve.com> Hablutzel at compuserve.com
	                      Morgan Cain * Steppes, Ansteorra

	                     May God have mercy on my enemies
	                     For they shall certainly need it.

	      For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

                I intend to live forever -- so far, so good!