Asian cookbook (was Re: FW: SC - Period Chinese Cookbook)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Feb 5 11:54:36 PST 1999

At 1:56 PM -0600 2/4/99, Shari Burnham wrote:
>I would be interested if anyone has book titles/cookbooks with information on
>period cooking and foods from the areas commonly known today as India,
>Pakistan,
>Bangladesh, perhaps even into Nepal, Kazikstan?

The _Ain I Akbari_, one volume of the Akbarnama, has 30 ingredient lists
for dishes, with quantities but without instructions, as well as
instructions for making bread and distilling arrack, and lots of other
nifty stuff about life in Moghul India in the late 16th c. There is a late
19th c. English translation, republised in the thirties as I recall; look
in a good university library.

I have some other references to what might be period Indian cookbooks but
have never succeeded in tracking any of them down.

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University
ddfr at best.com