SC - Nerve Bisquits??? I can't find them in the _Physica_

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Feb 5 21:49:43 PST 1999

david friedman wrote:

> One who suffers nausea should pulverise cumin with a third as much pepper
> and a quarter as much pimpernel. He should mix this powder with pure wheat
> flour, and make cookies, with egg yolk and a little water, either in a hot
> oven or under hot ashes. He should eat these cookies, as well as the cumin
> powder on bread, and it will suppress the hot and cold humors in his
> intestines, which cause his nausea. (pp. 19-20).

I see that the nausea is said to be caused by excesses of both hot and
cold humors, and that they don't seem to counteract each other.
Interesting. When the Tacuinum Sanitatis says something is hot and cold
in the second degree, I always assumed it was a scribal error, like
including saffron.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy