SC - Waffres ala Master Huen

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Sat Feb 6 11:33:02 PST 1999

>Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:
>>
>> Master Huen, in your redaction of the Waffres recipe from Thomas
>>Austin's Two
<snip>
 I suppose this is
>> an acceptable substitution, if you assume the original meant the roe of a
>> luce.
<snip>

Hello!  I'm fairly certain the original is calling for the stomach, and not
the roe.  The original says 'wombe', which is usually translated as
stomach, although Pegge translates it as 'belly' in Forme of Cury.  There
are many entrail recipes in Austin's collection that call for 'wombes',
'paunches', etc.

There are 2 recipes (off the top of my head) in Austin's collection,
Iuschelle of Fysshe, and Mortrowes of fissh, which call for fish roe.  In
those instances the word is spelled 'frye', 'ffry', and 'rowys'.  In Forme
of Cury the word is spelled 'rawnes' (Mortrews of fish, p. 60)

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow
renfrow at skylands.net
Recipes"