SC - Pease Pudding-Recipe here-OOP

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 6 19:28:26 PST 1999

This being roughly the same as every other recipe for pea soup I've ever
seen, I've been wondering for days now why that Duke or Baron in the
story added any thickener at all to the pea soup. Once the peas are
cooked, it's a matter of simmering it down and stirring it well.
Perhaps in a misguided effort to stretch it, he added water and the
arrowroot to try to make up for it.

>The following recipe was taken from 'Mrs. Mander's Cook Book., pg. 116.
Olga
>Sarah Manders. Viking Press. 1968. Library of Contgree Card No.
68-22867

>Pease Pudding
>
>1 lb Split peas
>Salt and pepper
>2 T Butter
>
>Method: Soak peas overnight in water to cover. Drain and wash well. Put
into
>pan, cover with cold water, and add 1 tsp salt. Bring to a boil and
simmer
>very, very gently until peas have become thoroughly soft and mushy,
about 2
>and a half hrs. Remove from heat, beat well with a wooden spoon, taste
for
>salt, and add a little pepper, and the butter. Stir well and serve.
Serves 12.

>Ras
SCA-Cooks".