SC - Finger foods

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Feb 8 07:02:44 PST 1999

"Knott, Deanna" wrote:

> My question for you all is:  What *period* foods have you had that you
> _really_ liked, that are finger foods and are good reheated or served at
> room temp?

Small mushroom pasties (which I usually do as little fried turnovers)
out of Le Menagier de Paris, cuskynoles of one sort of another,
depending on religious affiliation, meatballs of various sorts, sans
sauce, maybe a chicken recipe done with wings only.

> Bonus question:  Got anything that meets the above criteria for chicken
> livers?  If not, then what is your favorite chicken liver recipe?  (I have a
> killer chopped liver recipe, but I have no idea if it even comes close to
> period.)

I vaguely recall a dish of chicken livers cooked, cooled, and dressed
kinda like a salad with vinegar, salt, and lots of chopped parsley. One
of the 14th-century sources, IIRC. You might serve this with toothpicks,
as with the meatballs and such above... . You might also see if Platina
has a recipe for some kind of liver crepinettes, made small and wrapped
in caul fat. A sausage variant, perhaps, but it seems to fit the criteria.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy