SC - period bread comments

WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com
Wed Feb 10 03:44:44 PST 1999

<< I've been wondering that myself.  I'm curious as to what their flours were
 like and what grains were used most often.  I have been experimenting with
 different types (whole wheat, rye, barley, oat, rice, buckwheat, soy), and
 have achieved a wide range of textures, flavors and densities.  What would
 there wheat flour have been like, would peasants be using something like our
 whole wheat?  How finely ground were their flours?  I assume they used some
 kind of starter for yeast, would their bread have had a more sourdough
 flavor?

 Faoiltighearna
 Torvald's Hird
 Canton of Ravenhill, BBM, East

Try experimenting with spelt flour.  I think this may also answer our question
concerning poundage.  A machine-made loaf of spelt bread weighs considerably
more than the same size loaf made from regular wheat or whole wheat flour.
The grain is period (it's the ancient ancestor of modern durum & winter
wheats).  The loaf is much denser, with an almost nutty back-flavor.  It's
really tasty, and it won't bloat you up like modern wheat does.

Same holds true for amaranth (if you haven't tried bread made from this grain,
you should.  It's yummy!), although this one only has historicity for Aztec
personae, AFAIK.

Walk in peace,
Wolfmother