SC - Re: Angostora bitters

Balano1 at aol.com Balano1 at aol.com
Wed Feb 10 04:51:13 PST 1999

<<  Anybody know about bitters?  How  about brand names like Angostora Bitters
and Swedish Bitters?  (My guess on Angostora is either the bar it was created
in, or the charlatan that sold it as a cure-all tonic.  What do you think?) >>

Well, as it happens, I have not one but two bottles of Angostora Bitters in my
cabinet...the ingredients???
"an aromatic preparation of water, alcohol, gentian and vegetable flavoring
extractives and vegetable colouring matter."
     "the label on every bottle bears a facsimile of the signature of Dr.
J.G.B. Siegert.  There are other aromatic bitters but only one ANGOSTORA, the
brand name under which Dr. J.G.B. Siegert and his successors have sold this
product throughout the world since 1830.  It does not contain Angostora Bark
but derives its name from the act that it originated in the town on Angostora,
Venezuela, renamed Ciudad Bolivar in 1846.
     It is now produced by Angostora Bitters (Dr. J.G.B. Siegert & Sons) Ltd.,
the successors to Dr. J.G.B. Siegert, in Port of Spain, Trinidad, WI from his
original formula.  It has since become famous throughout the civilised world
and received highest recognition at the principal International Exhibitions.
It has long been known as a pleasant and dependable stomachic.
     As a stimulant for the apetite, one to four teaspoons before meals is
suggested, for flatulence, one to four teaspoons after meals.  Because of its
delightful flavor, it has becaom popular for use in soft drinks, cocktails and
other alcoholic beverages and it imparts an exquisite flavor to soups,
cereals, salads, vegetables, gravies, fish, grapefruit, fresh or stewed or
preserved fruits, jellies, sherberts, ice creams, many sauces, puddings, mince
pies, apple sauce, and all similar desserts, regulating the quantity according
to taste."

I use it to make my signature rum collins and splash very lightly some into
veggie dishes now and then.  It adds a mysterious earthy flavor that noone can
ever quite identify but all like!

I love it when I have the answer - this has made my day!!!  Thanks, guys!!!

 - Sister Mary Endoline
Southern Florida