SC - (Fwd) Re: Colours in period paintings

Erin Kenny Erin.Kenny at sofkin.ca
Wed Feb 10 05:27:34 PST 1999

I asked my husband for his opinion on the pigment issue (remember the
carrots?).  He is a fine artist (well, now he makes his living
programming, but that's another story), and his primary area of study
these days (in the SCA) is Renaissance painting (styles, pigments,
etc).

Here's what he has to say:

- ------- Forwarded Message Follows -------
I'm not an expert but...

Red tends to fade towards a muddy brownish red as well as lightening
up.  A "muddy brownish light red" looks somewhat orange, so I guess
it is possible that a red pigment to be "orange-ish" with age.

On the other hand, if the orange is a bright orange, it was probably
always orange (ie painted orange), and was painted using non-organic
pigment.

Most period colours that changed colour were natural pigments that,
well, rotten with age, leaving them turning brownish.  This continued
for as long as natural, organic pigments were used.  Most modern
pigments are stable chemicals rather than organic.

Stuart

Claricia Nyetgale