SC - (Fwd) Re: Colours in period paintings

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sat Feb 13 14:44:00 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/11/99 7:12:22 AM Eastern Standard Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<< > On the other hand, if the orange is a bright orange, it was probably
 > always orange (ie painted orange), and was painted using non-organic
 > pigment.

 This stands to reason. Certainly vegetable pigments tend to fade
 according to certain rather predictable guidelines, as any vegetable
 cook knows. If it was non-organic it seems even more likely, although
 I'm curious (read surprised?) that orange should have been one for which
 a non-organic source might be chosen, as it's one of the most stable
 vegetable pigments. >>

Having seen, in the crypt museum in Westminster Abbey, a piece of broken
stonework from the abbey with a vivid, almost flourescent orange paint on it
(which could be as much as 700 years old), I really hope medieval orange
pigments didn't fade much.  Otherwise the thing would have made blaze orange
look pale by comparison.
My mind boggles tryng to clothe Westminster Abbey in that kind of color.

Brangwayna Morgan