SC - Chocolate cake, crisco question, OT-OOP

Sun Feb 14 19:31:53 PST 1999

> Am I certain? Not really. OTH, I have always substituted stick margarine
> for
> vegetable shortening in recipes and have never had a problem yet. There
> might
> be a significant change if tubbed margarine is used though.The cake recipe
> that was posted sounds like a moist one so if the things you mention are
> true,
> I can't forsee that margarine would not work. Bear might be able to give
> us
> the lowdown since, IIRC, he is the resident baker. :-)
>
> BTW, the formulas for vegetable shortening and stick margerine are not too
> dissimilar.
>
> Ras

Solid stick margarine and butter are very similar for baking.  I personally
prefer butter, but most of the time you can't tell the difference.  Between
the butter/ margarine and the vegetable shortening, you will wind up adding
a little more flour to the former or baking the former a little longer,
depending on what you are making.

You don't want to use "soft" or "whipped" butter or margarine.  The air
beaten into the fat throws off the proportions when used in baking.

Bear