SC - Baba Ganoush and Hummus

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Feb 15 14:05:45 PST 1999

At 9:52 AM -0600 2/15/99, Sharon R. Saroff wrote:
>I vaguely recall mention of these ande other kinds of dips in a book called
>Queer Things About Persia.  Since it has been a while since I have looked
>at this book, I will have to confirm this for sure.  I used this book in my
>documentation, which was sparse, when I entered my recipe for Hummus in an
>A&S competition in Aethelmarc a feww years ago.
>
>The recipe is simple. Just pureed chick peas, some chopped garlic, parsley,
>and tarragon.

What is usually referred to as "Hummus" in this country is Hummus bi
Tahini--pureed chickpeas plus tahini (sesame paste), often with garlic,
olive oil, parsley, and paprika. All of the ingredients except the paprika
are used in period Islamic cooking, but I have seen no evidence that the
combination is.

Aside from whether it is mentioned in your book, you might see when the
book says the dish existed, and on what evidence. A lot of people who write
books, like a lot of other people, simply take it for granted that anything
that is "traditional" must date back many centuries.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/