SC - My birthday present

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Wed Feb 17 01:46:26 PST 1999

Ah, Christianna, for a cook, there truly is no pleasure like a sharp and
trustworthy blade! My I offer you  a (belated) Happy Birthday, and
felicitations on your wonderful gift!

On the subject of cutlery and purchasing same, although when I felt the need
for a new blade, I went to my handy dandy gourmet supply store and got an 8
inch Henkel's (found one which fitted my hand just right), I have also found
a couple of excellent blades in odd places. My mother gave me a 12 inch
Sabatier which she had been gifted with about the time of my birth, sometime
back in the original Middle Ages, another friend gave me a carpet knife,
which is my primo parer, and recently, I went to a local used whatsit store,
and found a couple of 7 inch Dexter Russell blades for 50 cents apiece.
Although they're not quite the quality of my other blades, they are
certainly more than adequate for my purposes, particularly for future
camping ( read Pennsic) endeavors, and certainly a step up from my previous
camping knives, a Buck knife and a Swiss Army knife.

May I suggest to anyone who has a quality stainless steel blade or three,
that they get themselves a diamond stone? It WILL put an edge on even the
hardest stainless steel, and they have them in portable butterfly types, for
sharpening on the run, as it were.

I know this used to be common in most towns, but it isn't now- do any of you
happen to have the acquaintance of a travelling knife and scissors grinder?
I'm lucky enough to know such a gentleman, and for a couple of dollars, he
puts a wonderful edge on my blades.

Phlip