SC - capons in casselys

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Wed Feb 17 04:04:35 PST 1999

Well, I did better than I thought! I used a couple of chicken quarters
rather than a capon. I put them in boiling water for a minute, then lifted
the skin and stuffed it with yolks, spices (ginger, pepper & cloves).
I was completely baffled by the "lyre" of hens. I thought it might mean fat,
but didn't add any in case I was wrong.
I didn't catch that 'do of' meant remove. In retrospect it seems obvious.
20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.
At this point of the recipe, I had decided to treat it as a double recipe (I
was a bit lost at sea). After parboiling the chicken for about 10 or so
minutes, I roasted one with a basting of spice/yolk mixture, and the other
with a basting of almond batter. I used flour rather than wheat starch, as I
remembered some similar word meaning that or similar in one of the "Two
C.15th Cookbooks" recipe's. I also stuck a bit of saffron in it for color
and flavor.
The latter was quite nice I thought, but I wasn't keen on the spice/yolk
basted one. Too much like a breakfast dish (well, maybe it could be used as
one).
Thank you both for the clarification! I shall try it again with a whole
chicken.
Cordialmente,
Lucretzia

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
thorngrove at geocities.com | http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove
"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers" - Aretino, 1536