SC - Arte Cisoria

Robin Carrollmann harper at idt.net
Wed Feb 17 12:55:14 PST 1999

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Ceridwen wrote:

> I believe it was Brighid who said she has this book in translation....

I have it, but not in translation, alas.  I am not aware of there being
any translation available.  I have translated or paraphrased a few
snippets of the text and posted them to this list, in the course of
discussing various topics.  As I commented in my recent brief
bibliography, the Spanish in _Arte Cisoria_ is noticeably more archaic
than that which is in the other period sources I have worked with.

> is there any way you could tell me where you got it? Is it available?

I borrowed the 1948 reprint via inter-library loan and photocopied it for
my personal use.  According to the Library of Congress catalog, the only
more recent reprint is a 1981 limited edition of 500 copies.

> I am trying to put together a collection of carving/kitchen instruction
> books for my apprentices and have pretty much run into a wall...
> probably my own lack of research skills, but am very interested in
> finding more of these.

If you or one of your apprentices can read Spanish, then you may want to
ILL this title.  If not, and you have questions about what it says
concerning the carving of a specific food and are willing to accept a
reasonably accurate paraphrase, feel free to drop me a line, either
privately or on list.

Brighid

Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt dot net