SC - Horseflesh, guinea pigs, insects etc.

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 17 18:30:06 PST 1999

> See James Frazer's "The Golden Bough" for more on this, as well as
> Calvin W. Schwabe's "Unmentionable Cuisine";

Funny you should mention this. Last week while rummaging through the Chapel
Hill public library for sources for my feast I came across it and spent much
too much time reading it instead of more pertinent books. I took some notes to
tell the list about it, here it is anyway for the others that hadn't heard
about it.

Unmentionable Cuisine
Calvin W. Schwabe
Univ. of Virginia Press 1979
ISBN 0-8139-0811-6

Schwabe was some sort of vetrinary researcher who travelled the world and
began collected recipes for portions of animals, or entire animals that are
considered inedible in the U.S.  This book could be considered the evil twin
to "Diet for a Small Planet".  While that book argues that feeding animals
grain in order to butcher them for meat is an inefficient way to feed the
world, this one argues that if we are going to feed the grain to the animals,
we might at least eat the animal more efficiently.  Being picky about which
parts of the animals we eat is silly in his view. Regarding the usual meat
animals (cattle, pigs, sheep, goat, chicken) there are recipes for all sorts
of organ meats, including stuffed eyeballs.  There are also chapters devoted
to less often eaten animals like guinea pigs and various game animals and to
insects.

Bonne