SC - OT - recipe from Murrell

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Thu Feb 18 04:07:33 PST 1999

Cindy Renfrow wrote:
>>Do you have a reference for this for sap green?

I'll have a look in my books tonight. I know one of them has a list of
plants most commonly used. I'll get back to you on that one.

>>Is this what Gerard calls Draco arbor?  I believe, however, that gum
dragon is a corruption of the name gum tragacanth.

I stand (or rather, sit) corrected. <smile> Dragonsblood would definitely be
more useful in a colouring rather than binding, function!  I'm not sure
about the Gerard identification. Given it means 'dragon tree', Mrs Grieves
says "Dracaena draco is a giant tree of the East Indies and Canary Islands
<snip>" (obviously not shrub!) A different plant, Daemomorops draco (aka
Calamus draco) from Sumatra (can't remember the modern name) appears to be
the currently commercially grown Dragonsblood. I wouldn't like to be quoted
but if the context of uses for Draco arbor and Dracaena draco were similar,
I'd guess it's the same.

Cordialmente,
Lucretzia

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
thorngrove at geocities.com <mailto://thorngrove@geocities.com>  |
http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove <http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove>

"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers" - Aretino, 1536