SC -

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Feb 19 17:50:59 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/19/99 8:45:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
snowfire at mail.snet.net writes:

<< Yet in Wales and everywhere in Britain I've been, "pepper" always meant
white
 pepper.

White pepper and black pepper  from the same plant. White pepper has had the
outer layer removed. The main reason to use white pepper is for foods that
some folks would find objectionable with black spots flosting in them , such
as  cream soups or mashed potatos.

Whether whitepepper was known in the MA or not is unknown to me but I have not
come across any reference to it in period sources so far.

Ras