SC - Milk delivery

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Sun Feb 21 08:49:08 PST 1999

Adamantius sez:

Now, it's true that the only medical attention I can get to come to my
home at an odd hour is via the paramedics, but then I can have decent
Thai food delivered to my door at 3AM. The net effect is mitigated somewhat.

Seems to me, that as hot as Thai food is, one might HAVE to have the
paramedics come to the door at, say, 4 AM (GRIN)

My original posting got sent before I had finished it, so this is the rest
of what I had intended to say:

Seriuosly, though, I've found several businesses here in my small town
who'll deliver things at no extra charge- the local grocery, for example, a
couple of times when I was sick, the local pharmacy, as has been mentioned,
the local tire store will bring you a tank of air to blow up your tire so
you can get your car over to the shop to get it fixed. Up until recently,
when budget cut-backs made every mile on a cruiser accountable, the
Sheriff's Dept would deliver obnoxious drunks home rather than arrest them,
and gave me rides when my car broke down- as did the school buses, on
occasion. This January, the local township guys pulled me out of 3 ditches,
and one of those times, they also pulled out the tow truck which had come to
get me (icy hills are NO fun+ACE-). I also remember several years ago, I was
moving a hog roaster with its own trailer, and when the wheel sheared, I had
to move the damn thing onto another trailer. The State Highway guys saw out
difficulty, stopped, and lifted all 2 tons of the bloody thing onto the
trailer for me.

Of course, there's also the obvious, such as pizza delivery, firewood, and
water delivery, not to mention that if you have a problem, and happen to
catch the gas, electric, or phone companies out working, they'll usually
stop and help out as long as it doesn't take too long, without reporting
back to the main company.

Service of this nature is not confined to rural areas, either. In Washington
DC, for example, Eagle Wine and Liquor Store will make home delveries, not
just of booze, but of the wonderful breads and cheeses they sell and there
are several other places I'm aware of which do the same thing.

So, yes, I'm a bit surprised at the apparant lack of service many of you
receive- may I suggest that possibly, you might ask, next time you need or
would like an unusual service? You might be pleasantly surprised.

Phlip