SC - [fwd] [Mid} sca becomes a general term

RoseThstle at aol.com RoseThstle at aol.com
Mon Feb 22 02:33:20 PST 1999

<< What I learned the past five years would've taken me a lifetime
 outside of the University. And yes, there are things that you can usually
 learn only in the SCA, such as recipe redaction, armoring,
 pavillion-building, period calligraphy and illumination, clothing
 construction, etc., etc.,etc. And I have found that when I put the two
 together I get farther.
 	As an academic, I will not dismiss the SCA as just a bunch of
 'play-actors'. And as a SCAdian, I will not dismiss the academics as
 'snobs'. But I must recognize that there are some of both, in both, and
 try to be careful when moving between the two.

Belonging to the SCA is not an end all to scholarly pursuits in medevial
history, but does give an edge in the study.  Not because an SCAdian is a
"know-it-all" but the interests and fasination with that time period makes it
an easy subject for one to enjoy.   However, those in academia tend to dismiss
the SCA as a motley crew with little or no knowledge of the time period they
portray.  But I have met some of the most well educated persons in the SCA,
and not in history alone.  Doctors, lawyers, scientists, military personnel,
teachers, college professors, pastors.. the list goes on and on.  It's not the
study of history that's the focus of the SCA, but the enjoyment of exploring a
time that's not our own.  Reliving it as it was our own and having fun.