SC - cream of tartar

Mon Feb 22 08:54:25 PST 1999

> "Decker, Terry D." wrote:
> >
> > Modern baking powder is a blend of
> > starch, baking soda and cream of tartar.
>
> That would be single-acting baking powder, huh? Is that product still
> extensively used, outside of industrial settings?
>
> I dunno, I'm just asking because the commercially available norm where I
> live seems to be the Davis double acting stuff; it burps when you mix
> it, like single acting baking powder, than again when you heat it up. I
> assume the formula is different.
>
> Adamantius

Touche.  That is single-acting baking powder and you are correct most modern
baking powders are double-acting.  I happen to remember the formula because
I can roll my own from the baking cabinet.

A double acting baking powder replaces the cream of tartar with a cocktail
of phosphates and sulfates (seems to me calcium phosphate, sodium aluminum
phosphate and sodium sulfate are common, but that needs a double check).

Bear