SC - "bog butter"

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Tue Feb 23 00:50:21 PST 1999

><< And completely unsalted, >>
>
>On what basis do you make this statement?

In Iceland, butter was never salted until the 19th century. Neither was
fish, and meat rarely. We used other methods of preservation, as almost all
salt had to be imported and was simply too expensive for ordinary people.
Yet this butter was not only a great part of our diet (the usual allotment
for a working man was half a pound per day) but was also used for many
financial transactions. Rents were usually paid in butter, for instance.

Nanna