SC - Summertime Cerulean Blue Sauce

grasse at mscd.edu grasse at mscd.edu
Tue Feb 23 09:11:33 PST 1999

Katharina wrote:

"There IS a certain confusion between black and blue-berries,
as in german speaking countries Blackberries is the literal translation for
what Americans call blueberries.
 will have to find out what they are in spanis or italian or latin and post
the info later.

Blueberries do have more pectin than blackberries and do stain all,
including fingers, mouth and clothing a nice black-blue."

I would be curious to know which German words you are translating as
blackberry and or blueberry.

The words that come to my mind as possibilities are:
Blaubeere, also called
Heidelbeere;
Brombeere
Schwarze Himbeere

Pictures of some of the berries may be found at:
http://www.kochen-und-geniessen.de/warenkunde/warenframe.html
enter on the picture, then click on the first letter  (Yes, the site is in
German, but the pictures are universal.)  They also picture the sloe (look
under Schlehe) that someone suggested as a possibility.  They describe
color ranges, and acidity traits, but since I am no chemist I would not
know what to look for to explain colorchanges when exposed to air.

I do wonder if the almond asked for might be Bitter almond... which are
poisonous, but still used in VERY TINY quantities as a flavoring (esp. in
Marzipan. ) The site lists the ingredient Glykosid Amygdalin which when
combined with water turns to Blausauere... (transliteration - Blue-acid?)
Could this cause or facilitate the reaction described.

Visually I would equate the Brombeere with marion/blackberries.
The Schwarze Himbeere is a black raspberry - yummy, but smaller and less
acid than a Brombeere. (not pictured, they list Himbeere and mention
different varieties exist.)
The pictured Heidelbeere (Heather/heath/meadow berry - my own loose
transliteration) looks like what I know as Blaubeere and would equate with
what Americans call blueberry.  Of course what I remember eating as a kid
was not as big and much more flavorful than the marblesized mealy tasting
things they now sell as blueberries.
And what I think of as Heidelbeere is the smaller, wild version of the
Blaubeere.

Hoping I have provided food for thought.

Gwen-Cat von Berlin
Caerthe