SC - Summertime Cerulean Blue Sauce

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Feb 23 19:03:36 PST 1999

Meliora & Drake wrote:

> The original translation we used was from Martino, Meastro. Libro de
> arte
> coquinaria.  Unfortuntately Redon and co do not provide the original
> italian and
> neither of us cooks have enough knowledge to attempt a translation
> ourselves.
> We would be interested if anyone else had the original or could check
> the
> translation?

See page 246 -- the original recipes are transcribed all together in an
appendix. You want #103, I believe.

> As a final note, would heating the mixture help?  It would certainly
> assist the
> pectin in setting, wouldn't it?

It might, but it would also completely change the character of the
sauce, which I don't think ought to rely on pectin to thicken. In any
case you'd have to boil it a while, like jam, for that to work, assuming
you had enough sugar. You just need to have dark blue berries, so ripe
they more or less puree themselves, and enough almond meal to thicken
it. This is going to have an almost pesto consistency, rather than a jam
consistency (at least it seems to be what Martino was talking about
before Redon got ahold of it).

In general I feel people are trying to improve this sauce by making it
more complex, while what it probably actually needs is to become more
simple. My opinion, of course, is worth exactly what you paid for it...;
 )

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --