SC - Documentation

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Feb 23 09:09:47 PST 1999

We tried the recipie below tonight to see how it would work for Friday
night fare at our event this weekend.  It came out really nice, and I
didn't get much when I got home after Chorusters tonight!  I have a
question, though, what is the line "tempere +in powajes with wyne;"
referring to?  Is powajes = pottage? as in the broth and meat?

Bruette Saake

Two Fifteenth Century Cook Books p. 27

Take Capoun, skalde hem, draw hem, smyte hem to gobettys, Waysshe hem, do
hem in a potte; +enne caste owt +e
potte, waysshe hem a-gen on +e potte, and caste +er-to half wyne half
Bro+e; take Percely, Isope, Waysshe hem,
and hew hem smal, and putte on +e potte +er +e Fleysshe is; caste +er-to
Clowys, quybibes, Maces, Datys y-tallyd,
hol Safroune; do it ouer +e fyre; take Canelle, Gyngere, tempere +in
powajes with wyne; caste in-to +e potte Salt
+er-to, hele it, and whan it is y-now, serue it forth.

about 3 lbs frying chicken
2 c wine
2 c broth
4 T fresh parsley
1 1/2 T fresh hyssop
1/8 t cloves
1/4 t cubebs measured whole then ground
1/2 t mace
1/4 c = 3 oz dates
15 threads saffron
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t ginger
2 t more wine
1/2 t salt

Cut chicken into separate joints, add broth and wine and set to boil.
Chop herbs and grind cubebs in a mortar; add herbs,
dates, cloves, cubebs, and mace and cook about 35 minutes uncovered. Mix
cinnamon and ginger with remaining wine, add
them and salt to chicken, cover and let simmer another 30 minutes. Should
be served with bread (or rice, although that is less
appropriate for 15th-century England) to sop up the sauce.