SC - Summertime Cerulean Blue Sauce

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Thu Feb 25 06:53:48 PST 1999

		>>Someone guessed they might be but a guess is not a fact.
Has anyone looked up the Italian word yet?  <snip>

For those who don't have it, here is what the book says:
"Sapor celeste de estate
Piglia de li moroni salvatiche che nascono in le fratte, et un poche de
amandole ben piste, con un pocho di zenzevero. et queste cose distemperarai
con agresto et passarale per la stamegnia.
(Martino, Maestro  156 Libro de arte coquinaria)

Which they entitle as:
Summertime Cerulean Blue Sauce

But translate as:
"Sky-blue sauce for summer. Take some of the wild blackberries that grow in
hedgerows etc (previously
posted)"

		>>using appropriate ingredients. A quick experiment with
frozen wild blackberries this AM produced a dish that was definately blue.
The color may have been a little outside what is normally thought of as
Cerulean blue in modern eyes, it most definitely was not red. I think that
had I used of a thicker almond milk would lighten the color even more than
it did. OTH, who knows what shade of blue may have had the term 'Cerulean'
attached to it in period? Just a thought or two. Ras <<

In terms of colour value, what we nowadays designate as Cerulean Blue is not
a period colour. It is "a somewhat opaque pigment made from cobalt which is
a kissing cousin to turquoise". There were some similar blue pigments with
greenish casts, ie bice / blue verditer, but cerulean is definitely a modern
colour. Cerulean means "sky blue" so perhaps this is why Redon etc have
applied it to the word 'celeste' although I personally wouldn't paint a sky
in cerulean - either in an illumination or a realistic modern painting. In
fact I don't use it in illuminations at all because it looks too OOP (this
is only a personal opinion - YMMV). I suggest this is a red herring and you
should just gun for what you figure is a "sky-blue" result with the sauce.

So coloring aside, what does it taste like? Any good?

Cordialmente
Lucretzia

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
thorngrove at geocities.com | http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove
"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers" - Aretino, 1536