SC - Substitution vs Accuracy- response, Long.

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Feb 25 14:18:34 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/25/99 11:53:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Karin.Oughton at geis.ge.com writes:

<< Do you/SCA  ever work with period-ish recipes? >>

Yes, we all do on occasion. I think that the main idea is if the ingredients
of a dish are not based entirely on the period recipe, then the most a person
can do is to label it period-like. For competions the substitution of
ingredients would very much be a hindrance.

For instance, if you substitute sloeberries (which are really plums), in the
Cerulean Sauce then you have an entirely different recipe, probably it will be
very good but since we have no evidence that sloes were ever substituted for
blackberries in this recipe, a person couldn't claim it was period. The most
they could say was that it was produced in a period style.

A modern example would be substitution of tuna for chicken in a chicken salad.
Same recipe, 2 very differemt end results.

Other factors to consider are whether a particular ingredient was used in a
certain place or time. For instance, eggplant was used extensively in at least
1225 C.E. in the middle east. Substituting this ingredient in an English
recipe, no matter, how tasty would be OOP for England medieval cooking.

Finally, my personal opinion is that there are so many period recipes in
existence that have already been redacted or that haven't been tried or that
have been rendered incorrectly or that have a dozen interpretations that there
is little or no need to substitute. Simply find a recipe that uses that
ingredient.

This subject New World foods has come up often on this list also and opinions
are as varied as there are people on the list. Many of us have our own unique
solutions. Personally, I can eat New World foods and/or modern cuisine
everyday so I don't sign up for on-board at feasts that feature either of
these. There are so many period recipes to try that don't include NW foods
that I couldn't find a place for them in a feast if I tried. :-) My solution
is to cut off my selection date for feast recipes at 1450 C.E., after which
the style of cuisine changed dramatically to what I call 'early modern'.  Of
course, for later personas, this solution is impossible and cannot be
expected.

Keeping to period when presenting your art is encouraged for sewing,
costuming, armormaking, and just about every other aspect of the SCA. IMO, to
expect less of her cooks is both a disservice to the cook and to the
organization at large.

Just my 2 dinars.

Ras