SC - Goblet covers?

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Fri Feb 26 07:21:06 PST 1999

>Good Gentles--
>
>Have any of you ever come across a picture or description of fabric goblet
>covers, other than those covering the chalice in church? I'm looking for
>secular examples. They make a lot of sense, here in the
>yellow-jacket-infested South. Now I'm curious as to whether or not they're
>period.
>
>Many thanks.
>
>-Margritte

Hello!  I was in the Treasury room of York Minster cathedral a few days
ago.  They had many covered goblets on display that had been donated to the
church by various parishoners.  The covers were made of silver or pewter &
were 'platens', or small plates. They did not seem to be attached in any
way. The odd thing was how plain most of the goblets & covers were.  Except
for perhaps an engraved dedication, many were completely un-ornamented.

HTH,

Cindy