SC - Dried Currants

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Feb 26 18:09:00 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/26/99 6:54:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
snowfire at mail.snet.net writes:

<< I wonder if the currants we use in recipes in Britain also Zante raisins?>>

Since I am not in Britain, I can't say. I don't know about British law but USA
law insures that the contents of the box are what they say they are. If you
look closely on the box of dried currants that you find in major supermarkets,
you will find somewhere the word 'Zante". At least here we still use the term
currant, commercially, to mean the Zante raisin which is the raysons of
courance spolen of in medieval recipes.

<< Also, where do sultanas fit into all of this?>>

Sultanas are lg white grapes that have been dried. You also have regular dark
raisins and then Zante currants (raisins, use the term of your choice) which
are made from a small grape  native to the island of Corinth (those grapes are
a tab bit smaller than what are known as 'champagne' grapes).

Other than the fact that raisins of Corinth and Sultananas are both made from
grape varieties, they have nothing in common.

 <<Elysant >>

Ras