SC - Marzipan translation/redaction

pop.efortress.com kappler at efortress.com
Fri Feb 26 18:41:15 PST 1999

I was snowed in up here yesterday, so I put my time to good use (or so I
hope)
and attempted a translation and redaction of the marzipan recipe from His
Grace's site.  I would be honored to hear critiques.  I'm particularly
curious to hear ideas about my translation from old German, as some of it
was a stretch. I have included my deciphering of the manuscript, my
translation, and the redaction

Marcipan:
Nym geriben (zerreiben?) oder geftoffen Mandel/ take grind (to powder,
pulverize) or pound (press) Almonds

der gar klein ift fo er geftoffen ift/ this cook a little is then you
pound (press) is

fo nym fchmectend rofenwaffer/ then take a taste of rosewater

da wirk ei weiB von/ then work in (knead?) egg white of

thu fchier fovil zucker darein alf der Mandel/ to add pure so much sugar
therein like the almonds

nym der oblat/ make the wafer

an die leg auff ein Papir/ on lay out one paper

da mach du den marcipan/ then make you the marzipan

groB wilt machen: fo nym die oblat/ much will it make:so take (make?) the
wafer

nez andertem/ not sure what this one is, read as 'one after another'

leg ein ander oblat daran/ lay another wafer thereon

ef hafft anein ander/ it stick (cling) on one another

Sonft zu groBen marcipan ift ein oblat zu klein/ besides (otherwise) to
large
marzipan is one wafer too little

nym dann ein inger fey hulzin oder eyfin/ take then add ginger moist
cover (wrap) or icing

einf zweihen finger groB/  one or two fingers large

Cook almonds slightly, then pound or grind them to a powder.  Add a taste of
rosewater, then work in the white of an egg.  Add an amount of sugar equal
to the almonds.  Lay out parchment paper, and on it, make a thin layer of
marzipan, not too big, not too small.  Keep adding layers, they should cling
together.  Dust with ginger, roll up one or two fingers long.

Standing by for insight and correction, Puck