SC - African recipes- OOP

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Sun Feb 28 02:35:33 PST 1999

Cairistiona asks:

>Why ask me for African recipes when there are locals on the list who
can send you their mothers' favourite versions? <

When Ian and I were chatting the other month, he had mentioned that when  he
was wandering around chasing little beasties, he had found that each village
or area seemed to have a specialty, and whatever that was, was usually not
only excellent, but generally the only edible thing in the area, so that
intrigued me. He had also said that you'd collected some of these recipes.
Also, I'm a bit more interested in the traditional foods of the black
Africans, since the European recipes are much more likely to have been
published.

>BTW, Ian found some
stuff a while back (I think he wrote and told you about it) which
included the culinary experiences of a 15th C Portuguese visitor to
Ethiopia.  I'll ask him if he knows where it is, but in the shambles
we are currently experiencing, I can't vouch for it...<

Yeah, moving's a mess, isn't it? I'm still trying to get organized- one of
theses days, I'm going to look around and realize I can't find myself ;-)
No, he didn't mention the Ethiopian thing- that's something else I'd be
interested in, considering not only the recent discoveries of very early man
in the area, but the fact that Ethiopia was home to one of the great African
civilizations early in our period- wondering how much of what the explorer
found comes from very traditional cooking techniques.

>Sounds as though you treat grits pretty much like polenta anyway (and
the way I've been treating mealie-meal out here).  Do you ever toast
the leftovers (as opposed to frying them)?  Pouring honey over
the fried stuff works well too, a l'Apicius.<

What leftovers? Grits are one of those things that most people either like a
lot, or just aren't interested in. Me, I usually eat whatever I make right
then, and the cats and Stubby argue over any scraps. They're not something I
make often, because the entire meal w/the fried eggs, ham, etc gives me my
monthly cholesterol ration, I think. But it's worth it ;-)

Send what you can, as you can, and since this is an open letter to the List,
I'd also be interested in anything else our other African friends might care
to share.

Phlip