SC - meat and seafood marinades

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Feb 28 19:55:51 PST 1999

Helen asked:
>     I am fighting with my family over how best to cook the salmon and lamb
> for
> my wedding feast.  I have looked the salmon eel pie and it is to labor
> intensive.  I am wondering if there are any marinades that are period or
> periodish, for these meats.  I am toying with the idea of marinading the
> salmon
> in verjuice and almond milk and spices like the pie calls for, and grilling
> that.  Any thoughts?

I'm not sure about period marinades. I don't remember any discussions on
period marinades, although I remember a number of them on modern marinades.
You might want to check this file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:
sauces-msg        (80K) 11/30/98    Period sauces. Sauce recipes.

I still haven't managed to taste eel. Perhaps in the future. If you are
interested in other eel or salmon recipes, perhaps these files, also in the
FOOD section might be of use:
eels-msg          (20K) 11/18/97    Eel dishes. Getting and cleaning eels.
fish-msg         (188K)  2/17/99    Medieval fish dishes. Fish in the SCA.

I don't think the latest version of fish-msg is on the website yet. As that
update was 60 or 80K you might want to check that. If so, let me know and
I'll send it by email.

There are also files on almond milk and verjuice if you are interested.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html ****